CSE, CIS and pre-CSE Advising
You are encouraged to contact your assigned advisor via e-mail with quick questions or concerns regarding your academic plan or other scheduling issues. You can also take advantage of 5-10 minute drop-ins (some in-person, some on Zoom) or make a 30-minute appointment for a longer conversation. Instructions for both are below (click the red bar for more info).
Drop-ins and appointments are for current CSE, CIS and pre-CSE students only. Other students should check here for their advising options.
There will be no drop-ins on Monday, May 23.
Summer 2022 Drop-in Schedule starting May 9 (all times EST):
Mondays (virtual): 10:00-11:30am
Tuesdays (in-person): 1:30-3:00 pm
Wednesdays (in-person): 1:30-3:00pm
Thursdays (virtual): 1:30-3:00 pm
IMPORTANT: You cannot schedule a drop-in in advance. Please check in to drop-ins during the hours above. In-person drop-ins will be at the CSE Advising Office (Dreese 376).
Check in for virtual drop-ins online using OnCourse. Detailed instructions are below.
Virtual Drop-in Instructions
1) Click the blue button marked "Schedule Appointment", then "View Drop-In Times".
2) Choose "Advising" as the type of appointment and "Same Day Express (phone/remote) as the service.
3) The "location" is the CSE Advising Office and you should select the first available staff. You won't be able to meet with a specific advisor during drop-ins.
4) A Zoom link will be sent to your OSU e-mail within a few minutes of your check in. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you have trouble checking in for drop-ins.
You will likely have 5-10 minutes with an advisor due to the high volume of students who need assistance. Please be prepared with specific questions.
Appointments are available for CSE/CIS majors and pre-CSE students only. These are 30-minute meetings that are appropriate for anything requiring long-term planning (such as graduation plans, financial aid appeals, reinstatement petitions, ROTC forms, etc.) and concerns about academic progress. Please prepare in advance for your appointment as much as possible (run a degree audit, have your schedule projection draft, etc.) and be prepared to take notes.
OnCourse is the website you should use to schedule an appointment with your assigned advisor (http://go.osu.edu/oncourse) You will need to choose from one of the following appointment reasons when making your appointment. Note that each reason has an in-person or remote option, so choose what is best for you. If you are open to either, this may increase appointment availability.
- Academic Status/Academic Success Support
- Application/Admission to Program
- Checking Progress
- Long-Term Course/Schedule/Degree Planning
- Schedule for Next Term
Please e-mail your advisor if you experience difficulty when scheduling.
Professional Academic Advisors
JOJO Beyene, Undergraduate Academic Advisor
Academic Advisors can assist with:
- Academic planning
- Graduation requirements
- Financial Aid petitions
- College petitions
- Referrals to campus resources
- Placement tests
- Changing majors
- Internship planning
Once accepted into the major, students are assigned a faculty advisor based on the student's interests. Faculty advisors can assist with:
- Technical elective course selection
- Industry questions
- Research opportunities
- Technical questions